-
applications-what where
apologies first for the question as I know absolutely nothing. Having read through the remastering how to and not really understanding it I am reading a few tutorials. I have installed Knoppix 3.7 to my harddrive and would like to remaster it. I have a list of the general contents and a list of what I assume are about 10 pages of files of which I have no idea what they are and whether to remove them. Where can I find out what the applications are ( especially any critical ones) and what I can do with them? Also where are they. From reading I have seen that things like the language files and the office applications may be removed but I don't know where they are.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you read the apt-howto on the Debian site you will find some of the answers.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
especially the part with package removal.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/-h....html#s-remove
basically i would do a;
Code:
apt-get --purge remove aplication
the comand above should remove the aplication and its configfiles... BUT this may remove more things aswell that are dependant or a part of said aplication, you simply have to read some more on what each package does.
The following options to apt-get may be useful:
-h help text.
-d Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives
-f Attempt to continue if the integrity check fails
-s No-act. Perform ordering simulation
-y Assume Yes to all queries and do not prompt
-u Show a list of upgraded packages as well
keep reading and ask if you want more.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can get a despcripton of a package with-
apt-cache search package_name
And removing this way-
apt-get remove --purge application
will tell you what else will be removed and give you the option to abort, as well as show the amount of space you would free up.
-
Thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. I guess I'll get on with my homework now.
-
packages
to see packages and descriptions on your system do
dpkg-query -l >out.txt
the text file will be in the root directory
Similar Threads
-
By alanblundellxx in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
-
By WyvernSpirit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 04:29 AM
-
By Aspren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |
$79.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95