3.8.1 superceedes the ceBit release, but keeps all the features. The BitTorrent is here . DE and EN versions.
3.8.1 superceedes the ceBit release, but keeps all the features. The BitTorrent is here . DE and EN versions.
I had used the unofficial CeBIt version a little, but downloaded from the official torrent last night and just tested the new release in my notebook; I'm very happy. Here are just my few first impressions (still have not played with the new file system): This version of Knoppix boots properly on my notebook without needing any cheat codes, Up to now I have needed cheat codes since about version 3.3. I used to need both the noscsi cheat code and the acpi=off code. Also, I found that these codes helped me get past a networking problem that I've had since Knoppix 3.1 after having run a Microsoft security update. With Knoppix 3.8.1 I can finally boot without any codes and I have access to my built-in NIC again, no resetting or other foolishness.
I suggest that anyone getting the download use Bittorrent. The mirrors are heavily loaded (and are known to not always give a good download). There are a lot of seeders on Bittorrent now and the download is reasonably fast. If you are behind a hardware firewall (router) please make sure that the proper ports (6880-6899) are forwarded to the computer where you run Bittorrent and that any software firewall you have on that computer allows the incoming connections to Bittorrent so that you can help others as you download. And leave your connection up and sharing as long as you can to help others once you have the file. I left mine run all night and day. It's down at the moment but I'll restart it again tonight and share my bandwidth to distribute the files while I sleep.
* V3.8.1-2005-04-08
- Lots and lots of package updates
- Integration of UNIONFS for full write support in the live session
- Capability + utilities for using loopback virtual disk drives on NTFS
(saving system changes and home directory permanently on disk)
- Kernel 2.6.11 (Kernel 2.4.x removed)
- ipw2100 and ipw2200 (Centrino WLAN) support
- RAlink rt2400 and rt2500 WLAN support
- ndiswrapper update
- FreeNX update (client and Server)
- Added: qemu, kwifimanager
- OpenOffice 1.1.4
- KDE 3.3.2 from Debian/unstable
- Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird from Debian/unstable
- Live updates/software installations can now be done via kpackage thanks to unionfs
Interesting to see Kernel 2.4.x removed!
Will be soon a new release of Knoppix with KDE 3.4 ?
I think 3.8.1 will be a jump for knoppix!
thanks![]()
Brilliant, 3.8.1 even has the latest security updates for Firefox and Thunderbird
UNIONFS is really straightfoward as well![]()
Anyone else having problems with external firewire disks?
My hard disk doesn't connect properly (I can post details later) DVD-R works fine, and the disk worked fine with 2.4 kernel in 3.7 ...
just wondering if anyone else seeing similar
I have always had to use cheatcode xmodule=ati for video support. However, with new version, I see that it loads the ati video support but It doesn't seem to work. My video playback for DVD's and screensavers are extremly slow. This has always worked in the past. Any ideas?
For folks who want to download via edonkey/gnutella p2p networks here are the links for English downloads
via Edonkey
ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-...45879f434dc85|
Via gnutella(Magnet link)
magnet:???:xt=urn:sha1:I3AK3R5JN7F4E...5-04-08-EN.iso
Pardon me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I'm a little bit confused about what's been posted about the Union FS. If I burn to a DVD+RW disk, will I be able to use this same to save my preferences, persistent home and files, such that all are available on any other computer able to read and boot off of a DVD+RW disk?

Dell PowerEdge R730 8Bay 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 4x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU 1100ws, 2GPUCbl
$660.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99