Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix detects my firewire

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Knoppix detects my firewire

    When I boot Knoppix (the new 3.8.1, although I think I saw it under 3.7 as well), it detects the firewire card in my HP Pavilion ze4240 notebook and proceeded to set it up during boot. I would be really happy about this if my notebook actually had firewire, but it does not. Does anyone have any insight on why Knoppix thinks it does and what implication there might be in it's "detecting" and "setting up" of firewire that isn't there?

    Is there any chance that I actually do have firewire, and the connection is not just routed out to a connector on the case? As far as I know from all that I was able to learn about this computer that is not the case, and other hardware detection programs (such as PC Wizard 2004) don't find any when run.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the not atached conector has hapened for me on a laptop, seems they use same motherboard for a "family" of laptops, they just do not atach some parts...
    in my case it was not firewire but for an USB output (not yesturdays model). as far as i could tell all that was missing was a conector and a "hole" for that trough the chassi, yes i poped it open to see, there was even holes filled with solder for the pins of said conector, sadly we could not find a suitable conector at the time...
    in your case i wonder why not other os or hw-detection software detects it?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    .....in your case i wonder why not other os or hw-detection software detects it?
    I think the most likely answer to that is that it really isn't there. I can't imagine Knoppix finding it if several other hardware status programs don't think it's there. Yes, I have seen seen cases of features built into systems and then not being made available in the final product too. But I really don't think it's hapening here. Maybe someone with detailed knowledge of HP notebook internals can confirm it one way or the other. Or maybe someone knows what Knoppix uses to say that firewire is available.

    Of course, I sure would like it to be available

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    hmm, i hae just searched firewire AND 3.8.1, guess what, this seems like a bug, you are not alone with this ghost detection. i am currently downloading to see for myself.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    I got the same problem on the 3.7 with kernel 2.6.X, so I guess it is the bug in the kernel, not only Firewire I don't have on my desktop but also PCMCIA, they all came for free !

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    eeeh, no, I think it is the autodetection that is wobbly.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    7
    3.8.1 detects my non-existent Firewire on my Compaq Presario 1200 laptop, vintage 1999. I don't recall it ever doing it on under 3.7, but I'll watch more closely as it was something that caught my eye the first time I booted 3.8.1.

    glink

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.1.1 Incorrectly Detects Monitor
    By deesy58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
  2. How knoppix detects ide devices ?
    By kunalagon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
  3. ALPS touchpad not detected by knoppix 4,kanotix detects it
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 03:05 PM
  4. knoppix successfully detects eth0 and eth1 and ra0 appears
    By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:41 AM
  5. Knoppix detects my Wireless Card but...
    By enemorales in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK 6 - 14

SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK 6 - 14" Intel Ultra 7 355 16GB RAM/512GB Win11 *BARELY USED

$850.00



Samsung PM9A3 1.92TB M.2 NVME SSD (22110 Form Factor, PCIe 4.0 X4) MZ-1L21T90 picture

Samsung PM9A3 1.92TB M.2 NVME SSD (22110 Form Factor, PCIe 4.0 X4) MZ-1L21T90

$597.65



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



NEW, SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Active3 Rugged Tablet, SM-T577U/DS, 8-Inch, 4G LTE picture

NEW, SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Active3 Rugged Tablet, SM-T577U/DS, 8-Inch, 4G LTE

$269.95



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ 5G SM-X218U 64GB Graphite Tablet READ DESC picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ 5G SM-X218U 64GB Graphite Tablet READ DESC

$39.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$55.00