-
Knoppix 3.8.1 - USB Cable Modem Connectivity Solution
Hi all,
I've read some posts on this forum about internet connection problems when trying to use a USB Cable Modem with Knoppix 3.8.1. I have been having similar problems, but have found a solution that works for me.
I had no problems with my connection when I was using Knoppix 3.7 (using either the 2.4 or 2.6 kernels) but could not connect when using Knoppix 3.8.1. What I found was that Knoppix 3.7 detected an ethernet device (eth0) whereas Knoppix 3.8.1 did not. I don't understand a great deal about hardware detection in initialisation of Knoppix, so I don't know why this is.
Under Knoppix 3.8.1 I ran the PPPOE connection wizard from KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet in KDE, which stated that no ethernet devices could be found and I should run the modconf script. Here, I added the module "usbnet" from the /kernel/drivers/usb/net catagory. eth0 was then detected by Knoppix, and it ran same automatic tests which ended up in providing a brief error message. I suspected at this stage that a DHCP broadcast would be necessary in order to grab an IP for my USB modem. Running KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet -> Network card configuration provided an option to do a USB broadcast on eth0. After doing this, I had a working connection (this post under Knoppix 3.8.1 being the proof!
).
I hope that's of some use to users who have had trouble. If anyone can suggest a more elegant way of doing this (via a cheat code?) during initialisation then that would be of interest to me!
Cheers.
Similar Threads
-
By rpope904 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
-
By Bustamite in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-18-2005, 09:42 PM
-
By illcuban in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM
-
By SniperNeo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
-
By guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00