There has been a catalogue of problems today, which started when I did a apt-get update/upgrade. I know, I know should have left it aloneAll I wanted to do was watch a DVD I bought yesterday and it has caused problem after problem. Any ho, what happened...
I'm currently running Knoppix 3.6 (but have executed many apt-get update/upgrades since last Sep 04) on a Dell Inspiron 1100
Step1:
Apt-get update/upgrade fine, no problems, said yes to each step (in hindsight probably not the best idea)
Reboot, but can no longer login as user, only as root! Any attempt to login as user just returns me to the login prompt.
I was a little "concerned" by this (had to leave office when I remembered it had been some time since last backup!)
After some work, I finally realised it was that hdc1 was full, phew.
Step2:
Remove files and clean up hdc1. Did all the usual (cache clean up and moved as much from home account over to hdc3 and added symbolic links where needed)
Then thought hey ho, what about core dumps, so searched for core across system... /dev/core and /proc/kcore
I guess you can you see where this is going! Well /dev/core was 256Mb, perfect, I thought, rm'd that but then kcore appeared linked to proc. Thankfully my next step was prevented. Any ho, after issuing rm I then checked to see what kcore is. Bottom line, something not to be removed!!!! [Side note my kcore is 1.07Gb, is this usual or is there a seperate problem with it?]
Step 3:
I started to remove unwanted packages (well just openoffice) with apt-get remove, which freed up over 200Mb which is enough to allow user login. I can log in however my mouse pad doesn't work now. USB mouse works fine. I tried 2.6 and both work fine. I know what people will say why not just use 2.6. However I would rather like to know what I have done.
So did removing core from /dev do this or is it related to removing openoffice?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
ps
Sorry for the long post, but it has been a long afternoon/evening!

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00