Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boots on 1 PC but not on the other ???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Boots on 1 PC but not on the other ???

    Hi.

    On my "old" P4 2.6 boots into KDE no problem...

    On my new P4 3.6 EM64T, it starts the init process... gets to where it says:--> INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting... and thats it. It gets totally stuck; I have to "pull the plug" to get it to re-boot or be able to extract the cd. Any ideas?

    The EM64T is an IA-32 "w/extended 64bit Arch" x-86. I've had no problems booting w/ Gentoo's x-86 Live-CD. This has me puzzled.

    Thanks for your help,
    travlr

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Boots on 1 PC but not on the other ???

    Quote Originally Posted by travlr
    Any ideas?
    Because of hardware differences you might need to use cheat codes. What codes I would not know. See the wiki article on cheat codes by following the documentation link at the top of the page.

    You may have burnt the CD at high speed. We have seen a lot of problems with CDs burnt at high speed, they frequently will boot on some systems but not others. I recommend always burning the CD at 4x if your burner and software will let you, never burn it faster than 8x.

    You didn't say what version of Knoppix this is. I needed cheat codes with versions 3.4 to 3.7 on one of my systems (others always booted without them), but 3.8.1 boots fine on that system with no cheat codes (your results may vary).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Boots on 1 PC but not on the other ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by travlr
    Any ideas?
    Because of hardware differences you might need to use cheat codes. What codes I would not know. See the wiki article on cheat codes by following the documentation link at the top of the page.

    You may have burnt the CD at high speed. We have seen a lot of problems with CDs burnt at high speed, they frequently will boot on some systems but not others. I recommend always burning the CD at 4x if your burner and software will let you, never burn it faster than 8x.

    You didn't say what version of Knoppix this is. I needed cheat codes with versions 3.4 to 3.7 on one of my systems (others always booted without them), but 3.8.1 boots fine on that system with no cheat codes (your results may vary).
    Hi, and thank you for responding,

    I used V3.8.1 and cdr burned at 4x; w/ a small little app called BurnCDCC. The md5sum was good upon dload and CDCC did a "read verify".

    I will research cheat codes now.

    Thanks.
    travlr

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Sorry to step all over this post, but I , too am having problems booting Knoppix version 3.7 on one computer, but it works fine on the other... (please note I haven't tried Version 3.8 yet).

    I have been using Knoppix since version 2.9, and have never had this problem before.

    Both machines are old. The one that is working is a Pentium 1 233MMX with 128 MB EDO RAM on a lovely PCCHIPS i430vx MOBO.
    IT WORKS!

    The other is an AMD k62-550 with 256MB PC-100 SDRAM on an ASUS P5A (Aladdin V chipset). Video is a 16 MB PCI NVidia TNT card that I prefer to run Without the NVIDIA drivers to avoid problems. (I can live without Open GL).

    Knoppix has always worked with this computer, most recently with version 3.6.

    So, I guess my question is, what happened between versions 3.6 and 3.7 that may be causing this???

    IThe computer boots to KDE (mostly) off the CD then just freezes. Can't even BEGIN to try Knoppix-installer.

    Interestingly, Kubuntu 5.04 does the same thing, but these are the only two I have EVER had problems with on my trusty K6-2 550.

    PS This box in question is happily running Mepis, and I am posting from it now.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

    Respectfully,

    **********
    UPDATE
    **********

    As many of you may have guessed, it turns out that the problem was related to my BIOS settings. I had flashed my BIOS (sorry that I neglected to mention this small detail :^) and the new "default" settings it gave me were a little askew. Specifically, the setting entitled PCI LATENCY TIMER (choices were 0 to 255) defaulted to a setting of 0. When I changed this back to 32, probably what the default should be, everything worked fine.

    All is well in KNOPPIX land, and I now have a date with knoppix-installer.

    ---The Manglement.

Similar Threads

  1. random boots
    By builguito in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 03:27 AM
  2. 5.0 boots but not 5.1
    By maltmann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 07:40 AM
  3. 5.0.1 boots, but 4.0 does not (HP t3640)
    By davidpearson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
  4. Boots up in german
    By Jheard21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 04:35 AM
  5. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R) picture

Intel Core i7-6900K SR2PB 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU LGA 2011 (Socket R)

$60.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99