Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Remaster from HD install:a metohd that works!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31

    Remaster from HD install:a metohd that works!

    Hi Guys,
    Greetings from Brazil!
    I'd like to submit you a script I developed to automate the procedure of remastering the HD installed and customized knoppix sucessfully. I published the first version of this script in the Kurumin Forum ( a brazilian distro based on knoppix) for about one month ago and now I've made some litlle revisions in it and translatede it to english in order to make it availabel for the international community. You can download it at http://www.ngsys.eti.br/remasters/kn...ster_en-1.0.sh. It's necessary to set its permissions like this: chmod +x knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh and chown root.root knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh. You have to run it as a normal user, not root. The script will ask you the root password in order to execute correctly. It can be put on the menu. I usually leave this script on /usr/local/sbin and call it, from a menu item, like this: konsole -e /usr/local/sbin/knphdremaster_en-1.0.sh. The script does most of its work automatically. It just ask you to insert the knoppix CD at the first time you use it. From the second time on everything is there.
    Please, fell free to improve the script or adapt it at your own discretion. I am not a skilfull shell script programmer, actually has never has never programmed in shell script before, for this maybe you will realize my code is very simplistic, but it works well! Another observation, it was made to the 3.7 version of knoppix, using KDE. It was not tested against others versions or with other window managers.
    Suggestions and contributions are very wellcomed.
    Cheers,
    nelsongs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    nelsongs

    Thanks alot. I will try it and let you know the results. Do you think it works Knoppix 3.8?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    knopx4me,
    Nice talking to you,
    I really don´t know if it would work with knoppix 3.8, cause I still don´t have it. I´ll try to download it tonight and let you know if it fits ok. For the version 3.7 it works very fine, with all your customizations preserved.
    Please, let me know if everything was ok or not.
    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    knopx4me,
    I just have made my first remater using the new knoppix 3.8.1 and it woked perfecly. So the script also fits the 3.8.1 version of knoppix. If you test it, please let us know the results and any suggestion to improve it.
    Cheers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    nelsongs

    Thanks for the good news. I just finished the job in my hand and will give this script a try today and let you know. I tried it with Kanotix 2005 and gave me some problems. I hope by tomorrow I can give you full details.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    nelsongs

    It is a great job. Yes it works with Knoppix 3.8. I was able to remaster it with your scripts. The remastring went smooth and fast. However, I got the following:

    1- Mozilla Firefox could not start the extensions. I got the following message:

    knoppix@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix$ firefox -UILocale ar-JO -contentLocale JO
    INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: JavaPluginFactory5 init - no agent?

    System error?:: No such file or directory

    When I remastered it manually, it did work. I checked the /home/knoppix/.mozilla folder and found the extensions there but Fire fox could not start them. I also cheched Firefox extension list under tools > extensions and found the extensions.

    2- I noticed that it shows that the partition in which I remastered it in as mounted. May be it copied every thing from /mnt. I will try some thing to avoid it and come back to you but I wanted to let you know that you are genius.

    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cabo Frio - Brasil
    Posts
    1
    Passei só para dar um alô (y) e dizer que fiz um remaster ontem e ficou P E R F E I T O .

    Um Abraço pessoal

    Bye

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Pardon a Newbie Questions on this

    I downloaded and ran the script.

    I told it to use hda6, a windows partition. Is it normal to get a lot of messages saying permissions could not be changed? This proceedure didn't go smoothly. Konsole crashed while running the script. So I ran it again. It seemed to go better that time.

    Anyway, it looks like the script created two directories:

    master, where the boot files are

    and source directory where the knoppix install files were copied to.

    To create the CD do I now just need to compress the source directory into a file to merge it into the master directory and then create the iso? (I have the Knoppix Hacks books I've been studying on this.)

    I guess, having never done this before, I am wondering if I have done things right so far and exactly to what degree this script automates the whole process and did the Konsole crashes screw things up.

    sakiZ

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    sakiZ,
    You can´t use windows partition to do the remastering process! If you read carefully all the screens that appears in the beginning of the script you´ll notice that one of them states that. And that´s because windows partitions don´t allow symbolic links, that´s why you have had several error messages. Please, try it again with an ext2, ext3 or, preferably, reiserfs partition in order to do it correctly.
    Cheers!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Oops! :-)

    Wearing a sheepish grin. Feeling like a real noob.

    OK. Thanks. I'll retry this when I get home.

    sakiZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ndiswrapper works from CD, but not after install
    By DamianS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 10:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 03:47 PM
  3. alsa works from CD, not after HD install....?
    By BillS in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:11 PM
  4. Network works off CD, not off HD install
    By Corwin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 03:29 AM
  5. dsl works with cd but not on install
    By chet1211 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 05:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08