Quote Originally Posted by Fordiman
Quote Originally Posted by garyng
I am experimenting with NTFS partition.

I tried just copy the ntfs.o module to the initrd and load it but failed miserably. Will recompile a custom kernel with built-in NTFS support and try again.

Will let you know if I can make it work.
Despite the other guy's concerns, I think you should give it a go anyway.

init is part of the KNOPPIX image. You need to put $INSMOD modules/ntfs.o in the linuxrc file found within minirt24.gz (so it has ntfs available before it starts looking for KNOPPIX). You should also copy ntfs.o (/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o) to the modules directory of the minirt.

It might just work. It's possible that the other guy tried it with an older version of knoppix (thus older versions of cloop and ntfs-linux. Especially ntfs-linux.) Hell, if he tried it with the 2.4.26 kernel, the change to 2.4.27 may have fixed the problem, too.

My current project is with Damn Small Linux, trying to implement support and modularity using squashfs (the "hey, you know what you could do with this?!" forum discussion is what led me here) I like squashfs a hell of a lot more than cloop, but cloop does have its points (One of my other projects is implementing an embedded/live version of DSL, and qemu has naitive support for cloop images - a boon for someone in my position)

have fun playing. Experimentation is the best thing that ever happened to computers.
I got it working from a ntfs/fat/floppy/usb dongle partition / media: have a look at this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
Cheers, Gilles