Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Strange Video problem with NetVista X40i

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Strange Video problem with NetVista X40i

    With the KNOPPIX 3.4 disk, the IBM NetVista X40i lauches XFree86 perfectly. With KNOPPIX 3.7, it seems to *think* it has launched XFree86 properly, but really, it has created nothing better than a featureless white rectangle covering the right-3/4ths of a blank screen.

    What perplexes me is that and older version of KNOPPIX works perfectly, while a newer one fails spectacularly...

    Anyway, I've worked around that for a while. But it was irksome, and philosophically disatisfying (things aren't supposed to become LESS compatible, right )... so recently I went ahead and installed Debian on that computer, thinking I could at least tinker with it now that it was a regular install. But same problem! I've tried what I can think of -- booting from KNOPPPIX 3.4 and then copying the XFree86config-4 file it creates over to my new installation... but no-go. I can ssh from another machine and run X apps remotely, so I assume the XServer is working fine.

    SO all this sort of means to me that it isn't so much a KNOPPIX problem, but more of an XFree86 one... but I post here because KNOPPIX 3.4 did at least prove that running X Windows was totally possible at one point...

    Anyway, any ideas of what I could try? Or where exactly I should go for more info, or to report a possible new bug? More info: NetVista is a bit of a weird beast -- BIOS allows sharing of system memory with the video chip (an SiS 630, apparently), and it has a built-in LCD screen. But I've gotten the impression a matrix screen was less finicky in some ways than CRT monitors -- at least H and V syncs aren't as critical (right?).

    By this point, I am more determined to fix it out of curiosity than anything else. I mean, the idea that things get worse really bugs me --

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    I wish I can help you, but I've similar problem with my m/b build in SiS display, I can only get 800x600 on my Philips LCD which capable of 1024x768, I don't have such problem with Suse where I switched from. I think it is due to I forced it fb800x600 during installation so that my monitor will not go out of sync., I tried hard to edit the XF86config-4 but no luck, I don't know what limited that.

Similar Threads

  1. IBM NetVista 8307 (-41U) and 1024x768 video (HOWTO, i810)
    By cvig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
  2. Very strange problem with DNS
    By knoppa in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM
  3. Strange Problem
    By BadgerKNX in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 06:11 AM
  4. Strange PPP problem
    By bacinlinux in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 04:22 AM
  5. IBM Netvista X problem
    By ditto in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ] picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ]

$75.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Dell Chromebook 11 3100 11.6'' I 4020 4GB 16GB VERY CLEAN RUNS WELL NON TOUCHSC picture

Dell Chromebook 11 3100 11.6'' I 4020 4GB 16GB VERY CLEAN RUNS WELL NON TOUCHSC

$27.00



Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron  Used picture

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used

$399.00