Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Partition Size V3.7 and 20GB HD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    118

    Partition Size V3.7 and 20GB HD

    OK, I've reviewed various posts on partition sizes and just don't see a consensus on how to break things down other than for swap.

    Since I get various size HD's coming in all the time I've decided to take one of the larger ones thats come in to the parts bin recently and put it to use.

    So whats the best way to partition up a 20GB for knoppix other than just root and swap.

    I'd ideally like something that in the future would be easy to do upgrades as successive versions come out with out doing a lot of backup/restore operations

    The machine has 160MB RAM so I plan on either a 512MB or 1GB swap, probably 1GB just to be easy. So then what?

    root
    home
    usr

    Sizes? Other partitions? ? All will be ext3 plus the 1GB swap.

    Lets have comments on the best way to do this with ease of upgrade for the future for BOTH Knoppix and INSTALLED APPS

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    The easiest way would be something like a 6GB drive to hold / and swap (but half a gig is ample swap) and a 20GB drive as /home. That would allow for an easy peasy reinstall/update.

    But if you're set on using one drive then:

    /4Gb
    swap 1/2Gb
    /home the rest

    I've used the seperate /home to go from 3.3 to 3.4 to 3.6 (next step may be to go to Kanotix). My /home is now 120Gb with a seperate drive for mp3s and video stuff mounted on to of that!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    The easiest way would be something like a 6GB drive to hold / and swap (but half a gig is ample swap) and a 20GB drive as /home. That would allow for an easy peasy reinstall/update. But if you're set on using one drive then:
    Thats a good idea, but unfortunately this PC is max'd out on the IDE bus the primary has a HD, that can not be changed, plus the secondary for Linux. The second IDE channel has a 32x CD-ROM and a ancient 6206 CD-RW in it. I've got an old NEC 4x4 drive still in the case (full tower ) that I had to disconnect since Linux doesn't seem to like them and I needed the IDE slot for the Linux HD. Probably going to move it to another old PC so I can put it back to use.

    Unfortunately making alot of changes to the hardware here is not possible for a couple of legacy reasons. I need to leave the one HD in for now.

    I'll consider this route when I build the next uber PC for the linux side

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    /4Gb
    swap 1/2Gb
    /home the rest
    This looks to be the way I'll go.

Similar Threads

  1. Mount Partition from drive with corrupt partition table
    By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
  3. Copy data from one partition to the other partition
    By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
  4. Reducing NTFS partition size
    By dbabcock46 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 06:08 AM
  5. Ramdisk (re)size/adjust size
    By hnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00



Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue picture

Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue

$299.00