-
Senior Member
registered user
Swap Partitions
Kay, so I've got a fairly small amount of memory (256mb), small for what I want to do (run Blender 3d without having to wait a freaking hour to rotate the view 90 degrees). I've got a 500mb swap partition...I know these function kind of like memory (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd like to stick Blender onto the swap partition so it would run faster. Is there a way to do this?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I believe you are confusing the swap space for something that it isn't.
Swap partition or swap file in Windows, is virtual memory. When your tasks have filled the real RAM then the system swaps portions of the filled RAM to the hard disk, the swap partition or the swap file. This frees up some RAM so that you can do another memory intensive task and thus you have made the system use more RAM than what is physically available. See this site for Windows centric explanantion of swap & virtual RAM. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory1.htm. See this site for a more linux oriented explanation of swap partition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_partition.
I've got a 500mb swap partition...I know these function kind of like memory (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd like to stick Blender onto the swap partition so it would run faster. Is there a way to do this?
It is very unlikly that you could use place blender onto the swap partition as you describe in order to speed it up. Are you postitive that it is the RAM that is making the rendering take so long? 3D rendering can be RAM intensive but is usually just number crunching & requires more CPU as opposed to more RAM. Do you hear the hard drive thrashing & making lots of noise when you rotate the 3D objects? If so then that is an indication that you need more RAM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Look in "top" for X running with a neg "nice" value. If so, set it to "0".
In a deb system /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config should have its' start up config.
jm
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yeah, swap space is only for system use. In order for you to use it, you'd have to reformat the partition, changing it from type swap to type ext2 or ext3 or whatever - and then the system couldn't use it for swap.
-- Ed
Similar Threads
-
By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-03-2006, 01:36 AM
-
By vartok in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
-
By pezz453 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
-
By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By peterpasschier in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99

50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Lot of 2 Kingston Fury 8GB (4x4GB) HX316C10FK2/8 DDR3-1600MHz Ram
$41.74