-
I have exactly that very same problem that lissyx describes at the top of this thread. Everything works w/ Knoppix-3.7 but 3.8.1 hangs right after the "creating /etc/fstab". I think the problem is not related to NTFS although there is an NTFS partition on the disk in question too. The reason for the hang in my case was because knoppix wanted to enable a swap partition that it found on the disk in question.
What I did as a recovery was to boot knoppix-3.7 and I wiped out the swap partition as well as the ext3fs that was used for installing knoppix-3.7. After that I was able to cleanly boot knoppix-3.8.1 from the CD.
Next step I tried was to install knoppix-3.8.1 on that disk. I ran into numerous problems. Which all ended with processes hanging on the disk access, e.g. "fdisk -l /dev/hdb" never came back, :mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb3" never came back....
It is exactly the same pattern that lissyx described. "dmesg" showed tons of errors like:
..... status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
..... error=0x10 { SectorIDNotFound } .......
I am confident that the disk is ok as WindowsXP doesn't report any errors, of course it doesn't access exactly the areas where knoppix wanted to get its hands on. I have tried to boot knoppix with "nodma' but this didn't make a difference.
My next step is now to re-install knoppix-3.7 so see whether that still works as it did before and if it does, then I will give it another try with knoppix-3.8.1. I will get back to this thread here and post the results.
PS: I am very confident that this is not a hardware problem. It suspect it is something in knoppix' linux-2.6.11 configuration. Perhaps the "IDE multi mode" config variable was not set? (speculating!)
-
as I already stated I was indeed able to install knoppix-3.6 (didn't have my 3.7 handy) on that disk. However, as it turned out it seems to be a hardware problem with the disk. Will replace the disk and try again. If the problem persists I will report here. If everything runs smoot, which is what I expect, I will not post any followup.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've just seen that Knoppix 3.9 is available. I'll try with this release and give you feedback !
-
Junior Member
registered user
So, i'm at home, and just tried the Knoppix 3.9. Problem is still here, and symptom are equals.
-
I know this thread is old, but I've just come across the same problem.
Running Knoppix CD 4.0.2 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, it hangs with the message about 'creating fstab'. In failsafe mode, it hangs trying to run fdisk.
If I use Knoppix 3.6, it creates an fstab that includes:
/dev/hda /mnt/hda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
Note that's /dev/hda, NOT /dev/hda1. If I try
mount /dev/hda
I get
FAT: bogus logical sector size
(it's an NTFS disk). Now fdisk gives
/dev/hda1 * 1 4864 39870048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
which looks reasonable. I tried
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda
and got
mount: error while guessing filesystem type
HDA1: bad access: block=0, count=1
etc.
smartctl thinks the disk is OK.
The only reason I'm running Knoppix on this PC is to check the hard drive, because XP seems slow, but I mention it here because it seems to be an ongoing issue with Knoppix
regards
Chris
Similar Threads
-
By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-11-2009, 01:58 AM
-
By prasatko in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM
-
By GblubbR in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
-
By Fabrice in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
-
By theomega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00