--Tell him to upgrade his RAM for Godsake; anybody using less than 128M these days is losing out. Only exceptions are certain laptops and REALLY OLD machines that can't handle any more RAM.

--If he has minimal RAM and no swap, it will refuse to boot into KDE. Here's what you can do:

boot: ' knoppix 2 '
' mkdosswapfile ' == (script) - make at least 128M if you have the disk space, and create a type-82 Linux swap partition ASAP

--After that, you can ' su knoppix ' and ' startx ' and KDE should come up.

--If there is a file ' knoppix.swp ' detected at boot, it will be auto-activated.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjobob
I have given a Knoppix 3.2 CD to a friend who has only 64 megs of RAM. If it doesn't work he will expect me to instruct him what to do, but since my system has 512 megs, I have no idea how it will work. Also I don't know how swapfiles work, because I have no DOS partitions myself to experiment with.

1. Will it boot into KDE sucessfully? If not, can he boot into text mode and make a swapfile, then boot into KDE?

2. Will it offer the suggestion to make a swapfile, or must he do this himself?

3. Once the swapfile is made will it automatically find and use it on subsequent boots, or must it be remade each time?