Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mixer cannot be found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Mixer cannot be found

    I've just fetched and tested version 3.8.1 and the first thing I've notices is that I no longer have an audio mixer. I've been running versions of Knoppix on this (Centrino based) laptop for about two years now, and this is the first version that exhibits this problem.

    The task bar has the speaker with a big 'X' on it and mouse over says that a "Mixer cannot be found". lsmod tells me that there are a bunch of sound relates modules loaded. Running alsamixer returns "No mixer elems found".

    Whats different in this version of Knoppix thats now broken or missing for my system?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have done the same, and on my HP compaq nc6000 laptop I get exactly the same problem, the sound card is recognised at boot but does not work in the same way as you describe

    Not spent any time trying to find the cause of the problem - If I get it working I will post a reply.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    B.T.W.

    The CeBit 3.8 version works fine,
    so its something in new/different in Knoppix 3.8.1 'stuff'.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Have you tried on the cli
    #locate alsamixer
    /usr/bin/alsamixer
    ..............


    just a shot try:
    chmod 777 /dev/mixer
    chmod 777 /dev/mixer0
    chmod 777 /dev/dsp
    chmod 777 /usr/bin/alsamixer
    chmod -R 777 /dev/snd

    these are permissions for anyone to use the mixer

    good luck

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    I can get it to work on my nc6000 by running alsaconf { sudo alsaconf }

    But I have to run this everytime I re-boot

Similar Threads

  1. Better audio mixer wanted
    By zsd in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 03:17 AM
  2. CRON to control either the mixer or kaffine
    By radnor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 03:25 AM
  3. no active mixer devices avalibale
    By bossslimthug in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
  4. soundcard detected, but mixer cannot be found
    By jfhawk06 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 02:46 PM
  5. Remastering- No Sound / No Mixer WTF!
    By winslayer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 02:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core I9-14900K 14th Gen Desktop CPU Socket LGA 1700 picture

Intel Core I9-14900K 14th Gen Desktop CPU Socket LGA 1700

$320.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00