Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: using Knoppix as VNC viewer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    using Knoppix as VNC viewer

    Hi,

    I want to use Knoppix on a PC as VNC viewer host.
    The purpose is to remote control my main-PC with another PC which has no hard-drive integrated. But it seems that there's no VNC packaged with Knoppix (anymore?). Is there any way to use the VNC viewer on Knoppix without a hard drive installed? Maybe I could build a custom Knoppix CD?
    Or maybe there's another Live CD / Knoppix variant with VNC integrated?

    Thanks for the replies,
    Ben

  2. #2
    I could use VNC in version 3.6 of knoppix. (I used kde's remote desktop connection, just in case you were wondering)

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: using Knoppix as VNC viewer

    Quote Originally Posted by anselmoso
    But it seems that there's no VNC packaged with Knoppix (anymore?).
    Internet->Remote Desktop

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    so this is the KDE VNC client?

    alright, so this is just a VNC client that comes with KDE?
    Because the pc which is running as VNC server is a windows machine. I thought this is a KDE-specific remote-desktop-application.
    But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    > But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.
    As far as I can tell you are correct, the KDE remote desktop application is KDE's VNC client.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: so this is the KDE VNC client?

    Quote Originally Posted by anselmoso
    alright, so this is just a VNC client that comes with KDE?
    Because the pc which is running as VNC server is a windows machine. I thought this is a KDE-specific remote-desktop-application.
    But if this is the standard VNC protocol integrated in KDE then everything is fine.
    VNC is intended to be a cross platform protocol. I didn't test it when I made the above post. I just believed what I saw on the screen (and others had pointed me to this as a VNC client). But I just tried it, fired up a VNC server on my windows desktop and tried to connect from a 3.8 Live CD on the system next to it. No luck. Apparently this is not quite VNC. If it's only KDE to KDE then I have no idea why they bother to support both VNC and RDP, but from my experiment it seems useless. Sad, I know I was able to do true VNC connections to my Win98 system from Knoppix with an old Live CD. Yet another thing that seems to have been lost.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    oh

    VNC is intended to be a cross platform protocol. I didn't test it when I made the above post. I just believed what I saw on the screen (and others had pointed me to this as a VNC client). But I just tried it, fired up a VNC server on my windows desktop and tried to connect from a 3.8 Live CD on the system next to it. No luck. Apparently this is not quite VNC. If it's only KDE to KDE then I have no idea why they bother to support both VNC and RDP, but from my experiment it seems useless. Sad, I know I was able to do true VNC connections to my Win98 system from Knoppix with an old Live CD. Yet another thing that seems to have been lost.
    oh - this doesn't sound very good, at all!!!
    well i still have a knoppix 3.6 here. maybe this one will do....hopefully...

    but anyway, isn't there any way to copy the standard vnc viewer onto a floppy disk and just mount this disk under knoppix 3.8 and then execute the vnc viewer from disk?

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: oh

    Quote Originally Posted by anselmoso
    oh - this doesn't sound very good, at all!!!
    well i still have a knoppix 3.6 here. maybe this one will do....hopefully...

    but anyway, isn't there any way to copy the standard vnc viewer onto a floppy disk and just mount this disk under knoppix 3.8 and then execute the vnc viewer from disk?
    I don't know enough about installing applications in Linux to know. There might be dependency issue, I'm not sure. With the magic 3.8 file system maybe one can just "install" a viewer, or maybe Probono can make one available by klik. But again these are things outside my limited experience.

Similar Threads

  1. VNC - Linux server & Windows viewer - HowTo please?
    By longlostname in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
  2. TightVNC Viewer - copy/paste function
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
  3. WIndows ext2 viewer
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 01:57 AM
  4. VNC Viewer removed from knoppix 3.6
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2 picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2

$30.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$200.00



1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2400T-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2400T-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$340.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99