Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....

    1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
    open root shell
    mkdir /hd
    mount /dev/hda1 /hd
    cd /hd
    ls -1
    Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
    one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
    thanks,
    nick

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    --Post results of ' fdisk -l '

    --First off, chmod will do nothing to Windows filesystems (fat, fat32, ntfs) - it only works on *nix filesystems (ext2, minix, reiserfs, etc.) To change things there, look at ' man mount ' and look for "filesystem specific mount options". You can then create an entry in /etc/fstab that applies whichever options you want.

    ' dpkg -L openoffice.org-bin ' == Will list the binary files for OO.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmcfly8888
    First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....

    1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
    open root shell
    mkdir /hd
    mount /dev/hda1 /hd
    cd /hd
    ls -1
    Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
    one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
    thanks,
    nick

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    thanks, I just added a simple users,dev,exec,suid line to fstab..........this is awesome!!
    -Nick

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    Hey, sorry about this but the openoffice thing didn't work. I am using the LiveCD, it isnt installed on my HD(I dont know if i mentioned that before)
    the message i get after entering that command is that the package is not installed. Is it possible to get to openoffice from icewm?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    ' dpkg -l |grep office ' and then go from there...

    Quote Originally Posted by mmcfly8888
    Hey, sorry about this but the openoffice thing didn't work. I am using the LiveCD, it isnt installed on my HD(I dont know if i mentioned that before)
    the message i get after entering that command is that the package is not installed. Is it possible to get to openoffice from icewm?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    Hate to be an annoying little newbie, but I have no idea what to do from here... that command returns
    ii openoffice-de- 1.1.3-1 The OpenOffice suite, see http://www.openoff
    ii ttf-openoffice 1.0-2 OpenOffice TrueType Fonts

    I found the package in "KPackage" and it says it is installed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    ' dpkg -l |grep office ' and then go from there...

    Quote Originally Posted by mmcfly8888
    Hey, sorry about this but the openoffice thing didn't work. I am using the LiveCD, it isnt installed on my HD(I dont know if i mentioned that before)
    the message i get after entering that command is that the package is not installed. Is it possible to get to openoffice from icewm?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)

    I figured it out: the command is simply "soffice" becuase of staroffice. Thanks, nick

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix chmod permissions problems
    By sad1sm0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
  2. chmod doesnt work ?
    By pdc124 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
  3. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  4. New User Help on file permissions
    By chachi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
  5. Changing file permissions
    By bigbene in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer w/ Original Mouse Untested Parts Repair AS IS

$228.32



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 800XL Home Computer System 800 XL ** Tested ** AS-IS Parts or Repair

$123.75