-
file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)
First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....
1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
open root shell
mkdir /hd
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
cd /hd
ls -1
Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
thanks,
nick
Similar Threads
-
By sad1sm0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
-
By pdc124 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
-
By sepekte in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
-
By chachi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
-
By bigbene in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DD4 RAM LOT - 8GB/16GB
$1400.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$199.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99

LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL)
$345.00

LOT OF 50 RAM STICKS-Mixed Brand 8GB 1Rx8 DDR4-2400 (8GBX50=400GB TOTAL)
$1450.00