-
file permissions (chmod doesnt seem to do anything)
First of all, Linux is amazing. Knoppix is my first experience with it, but I have always wanted to try it, and now that I finally got DSL I downloaded the iso quickly and burned it! I use IceWM, because KDE runs a bit slow for me, and it is all good except one or two things....
1st off.... Hard drive access... I use icewm, so to mount my harddrive I:
open root shell
mkdir /hd
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
cd /hd
ls -1
Here it displays my hard drive's contents, and it is all good, i can cd over to any directory, but, i have to start apps from root shell to be able to access the hardrive, so its kind of stupid to even have the start menu. i tried to chmod the "my documents" and some other personal directories for rwx permissions, but when i enter the command nothing at all happens. I ls -l again and the permissions are exactly the same. I also try it for individual files, and i even tried it with a 8.3 DOS filename instead of a long file name..... no go. the permissions do not change... so is there anyway to either... give root permissions to the start menu, or get chmod working right? (maybe i'm doing it wrong)
one other thing... what is the shell command for openoffice, because it doesnt appear in the icewm menu
thanks,
nick
Similar Threads
-
By sad1sm0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
-
By pdc124 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
-
By sepekte in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
-
By chachi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
-
By bigbene in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730
$55.00

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)
$22.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570
$389.00