Your modem is hardware modem, it MUST work. Unfortunately, I am not expert for modems. Maybe this can help you:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
In Knoppix 3.2 I was able to create a connection using pppconfig and pon but this no longer works in 3.8. KPPP with any ttySx does not work. ttyS4 returns as "The Modem is busy" as do several other choices. The few that show "Modem Ready" return no codes from the modem querry. I can create the config file in pppconfig but pon returns, making no attempt to connect. This modem works well in RH9 and FC2, Linspire Live and K3.2 using ttyS4. Ubuntu also fails with this modem. I read somewhere that the problem may lie in the 2.6.x kernel.
Phone modems are still the most common connection type in the US despite all the newer technology. Linux developers need to attend to these details and not mess them up with succeeding revisions if this OS is ever to attain widespread acceptance on the desktop.
Paul
Your modem is hardware modem, it MUST work. Unfortunately, I am not expert for modems. Maybe this can help you:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95