-
Senior Member
registered user
MN-520 network adapter (M$) - prism_cs not found by modprobe
[Recently edited]
I'm trying to set up the Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA adapter on a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA47 notebook, running Knoppix 2004-05-17 3.4, 2.6 kernel, live CD with persistent home and saved config both on a USB thumbdrive.
My computer boots around this card, but when the modprobe looks for prism2_cs, I get a FATAL message, saying that module prism2_cs is not found, exits with a status 1, but continues booting. Then it says something about module /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o not available, and bind prism2_cs to socket 1 failed : invalid argument.
I figured out that it has something to do with the script being written prior to version 3.4, and when 3.4 was released with two different kernels, the file structure changed just enough to make things go wonky.
I'm new to wlan - I don't even have a base station, but I wanted to have wlan access on vacation at various hotspots.
[EDIT]I figured out that the reason it can't find /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o is because IT AIN'T FLIPPIN' THERE!! IT'S IN /lib/modules/2.4.26/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o !!!!! I KNEW I was on to something with this kernel deal!!! Sure enough, when I booted in the 2.4.26 kernel, it found that file and installed it (heard beeps too), but there was some other configuration problem.
PLEASE!!! I found the problem - I just don't have the skills to fix it!![/edit]
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA,
JD
Similar Threads
-
By johnsmith01 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
-
By haYnguy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
-
By ziginet in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-06-2004, 06:37 PM
-
By cybervet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 12:08 PM
-
By Hermanh in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00