Your modem is hardware modem, it MUST work. Unfortunately, I am not expert for modems. Maybe this can help you:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
In Knoppix 3.2 I was able to create a connection using pppconfig and pon but this no longer works in 3.8. KPPP with any ttySx does not work. ttyS4 returns as "The Modem is busy" as do several other choices. The few that show "Modem Ready" return no codes from the modem querry. I can create the config file in pppconfig but pon returns, making no attempt to connect. This modem works well in RH9 and FC2, Linspire Live and K3.2 using ttyS4. Ubuntu also fails with this modem. I read somewhere that the problem may lie in the 2.6.x kernel.
Phone modems are still the most common connection type in the US despite all the newer technology. Linux developers need to attend to these details and not mess them up with succeeding revisions if this OS is ever to attain widespread acceptance on the desktop.
Paul
Your modem is hardware modem, it MUST work. Unfortunately, I am not expert for modems. Maybe this can help you:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

Cisco PWR-CC1-250WAC C8300 1RU 250W AC Power supply
$799.00
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)
$89.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco C9300L-48P-4X - 48 Ports Fully Managed Power over Ethernet Switch
$2150.00
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
$16127.99
Cisco RV320 + RV325 + MERAKI MX64 *UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLIES*
$100.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99