Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mounting a Raided NTFS Partition.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22

    Mounting a Raided NTFS Partition.

    To start out, let me say that I am quite green when it comes to doing some things in linux.

    So, here's the problem.
    I have a P4 3.0Ghz
    4 Hdd's in Raid 0+1 from a PCI RAID card are running Windows.
    knoppix is installed on a 5th HDD.

    I don't need to have a boot loader, as I just choose to boot from the knoppix hdd or the bootable add in card.

    What I am trying to figure out, or even if it is possible to do it, is mount a raided ntfs volume.

    Knoppix sees all the drives, as I can choose wether or not to try to mount them individually.

    thanks.

    (accidentally posted this in the Networking forums earlier, finally figured out how to move it over here)

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Most common PC raid solutions are not hardware based but heavily depend on software that is provided with the MB or add-on raid card. This is special raid software that is written to work under windows. So if you have a software raid solution then unless you can get a Linux driver from the manufacturer, I don't believe that you are going to be able to mount the raid disk array.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Ok, thanks for the information, I went to the manufacturer's website. The controller I have is a Promise Fasttrak tx2, and they do infact have quite a number of different linux drivers, from SuSE and Redhat to others. Now, my next question, how would I go about implementing this, please bear with me, as I don't know much yet. Any help would be appreciated, like sites where I might find out where to start at.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Ok, I have been doing some searching around, I am currently running knoppix 3.8.1 which runs the 2.6 kernel which supports raid from what I have read.

    This is basically what I have read, there are not many subjects on it, so I have yet to attempt it.

    create a file /etc/raidtab containing

    raiddev /dev/md/d0
    raid-level 0
    nr-raid-disks 2
    persistent-superblock 0
    chunk-size 64

    device /dev/hdl1
    raid-disk 0
    device /dev/hdj
    raid-disk 1

    Run the command mdadm -B /dev/md/d0 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd --level=raid0 --raid-devices=2
    Then mount the /dev/md/d0 ??


    I havn't gotten the chance to mess with it, but could some one tell me if I am heading in the right direction with this?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I would be very very careful with this. Supporting RAID under Linux does not gaurantee that it supports the same data layout as the drivers that you have. I do not know for a fact that it does not, but until you can determine that it does I would be extra careful. If you have a backup of all of the information that is current on the raid array then you might want to try to see if the Linux software is compatable with the current array, but if they are not compatble you could damage data in the process of doing this (thus the backup).

Similar Threads

  1. mounting ntfs rw
    By matttail in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
  2. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  3. mounting to NTFS
    By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  4. Mounting NTFS HDD
    By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  5. NTFS Mounting
    By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00