-
Junior Member
registered user
Mounting a Raided NTFS Partition.
To start out, let me say that I am quite green when it comes to doing some things in linux.
So, here's the problem.
I have a P4 3.0Ghz
4 Hdd's in Raid 0+1 from a PCI RAID card are running Windows.
knoppix is installed on a 5th HDD.
I don't need to have a boot loader, as I just choose to boot from the knoppix hdd or the bootable add in card.
What I am trying to figure out, or even if it is possible to do it, is mount a raided ntfs volume.
Knoppix sees all the drives, as I can choose wether or not to try to mount them individually.
thanks.
(accidentally posted this in the Networking forums earlier, finally figured out how to move it over here)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Most common PC raid solutions are not hardware based but heavily depend on software that is provided with the MB or add-on raid card. This is special raid software that is written to work under windows. So if you have a software raid solution then unless you can get a Linux driver from the manufacturer, I don't believe that you are going to be able to mount the raid disk array.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, thanks for the information, I went to the manufacturer's website. The controller I have is a Promise Fasttrak tx2, and they do infact have quite a number of different linux drivers, from SuSE and Redhat to others. Now, my next question, how would I go about implementing this, please bear with me, as I don't know much yet. Any help would be appreciated, like sites where I might find out where to start at.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, I have been doing some searching around, I am currently running knoppix 3.8.1 which runs the 2.6 kernel which supports raid from what I have read.
This is basically what I have read, there are not many subjects on it, so I have yet to attempt it.
create a file /etc/raidtab containing
raiddev /dev/md/d0
raid-level 0
nr-raid-disks 2
persistent-superblock 0
chunk-size 64
device /dev/hdl1
raid-disk 0
device /dev/hdj
raid-disk 1
Run the command mdadm -B /dev/md/d0 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd --level=raid0 --raid-devices=2
Then mount the /dev/md/d0 ??
I havn't gotten the chance to mess with it, but could some one tell me if I am heading in the right direction with this?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I would be very very careful with this. Supporting RAID under Linux does not gaurantee that it supports the same data layout as the drivers that you have. I do not know for a fact that it does not, but until you can determine that it does I would be extra careful. If you have a backup of all of the information that is current on the raid array then you might want to try to see if the Linux software is compatable with the current array, but if they are not compatble you could damage data in the process of doing this (thus the backup).
Similar Threads
-
By matttail in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
-
By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
-
By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
-
By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST
$159.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98