Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix CD newbie question

  1. #1

    Knoppix CD newbie question

    I have KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso on my CD. Is that all I need?

    My system seems to ignore it when I tell it to boot from the CD drive.

    Cheers

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Thanks.

    I burned the CD as a "boot" CD at 4x speed using Roxio and it created two files on the CD:

    1. BOOTCAT.BIN
    2. BOOTIMG.BIN

    Is this what was supposed to happen? (I verified my download with the md5, by the way.)

    My CD doesn't seem to be working still, but its not outright ignored anymore.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by _Christopher_
    Thanks.

    I burned the CD as a "boot" CD at 4x speed using Roxio and it created two files on the CD:

    1. BOOTCAT.BIN
    2. BOOTIMG.BIN

    Is this what was supposed to happen? (I verified my download with the md5, by the way.)

    My CD doesn't seem to be working still, but its not outright ignored anymore.
    No, you did not burn the ISO to the CD properly. What in the reply by cintra led you to do what you did? Perhaps if it gave you information that led you to burn it as a "boot" CD we should track it down and fix it. But I never saw any recomendations to burn it as a boot cd. You need to burn it as an image. You do not want to make it bootable in your software (it will be bootable if burnt as an image), you do not want to drag it into the file area. You did do 2 important steps, checking the md5 sum and burning at a slow speed, but you need to use the right burning option from your burning software. It's been a while and sever versions since I've used Roxio, but I thought burning from an ISO image was relatively easy to find in the menus back when I did use it.

  5. #5
    Guess what?

    I'm now writing this post from my Knoppix OS!

    Thanks for helping me out guys.

Similar Threads

  1. newbie question first knoppix download
    By kcs636 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
  3. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  4. New to linux and knoppix and some newbie question.
    By Shaba1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
  5. Newbie question about using the knoppix, safety etc.
    By JohnElmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



LENOVO THINKPAD X13 YOGA GEN 1 i5-10210U@1.60 8GB RAM 256SSD BKLIT BT CAM TOUCH picture

LENOVO THINKPAD X13 YOGA GEN 1 [email protected] 8GB RAM 256SSD BKLIT BT CAM TOUCH

$189.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$245.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99