-
Senior Member
registered user
unable to lookup mybox via gethostbyname()
I have remastered Knoppix 3.8. It works great from CD with all the customizations that I made. However, when I installed it on HD, KDE won't allow me in. It accepts my password but don't allow me in. It keeps showing me kdm logon screen. I selected the command line option and started X with no problems. I got this mail message:
************************************************** ***************************************
To: root@Knoppix
From: root@Knoppix
Subject: *** SECURITY information for mybox ***
mybox : Apr 8 02:34:13 : root : unable to lookup mybox via gethostbyname()
************************************************** ****************************************
Does any body know what does this mean? And how to solve it?
-
Hi knopx4me,
I donīt know if it helps, but during the development of the script for remastering the knoppix HD install I have faced this trouble and I discovered, for the 3.7 version at least, that the problem is due to the hostname. In your case Iīve seen you call it mybox and the internal routine 45xsession expects it to be named knoppix. I solved this problem, in my script, changing the following, which you could try on your chrooted environment (problably /knxsource/KNOPPPIX/KNOPPIX):
1 - On the /home/yourname directory I deleted the hidden files >DCOPserver.... If your home is, for instance, /home/knopx4me, do this (on a terminal, logged as su): rm -f /home/knopx4me/.DCOP*
2 - Edit /etc/hostname and change whatever name is inside /etc/hostname (problably mybox is there) to knoppix.
3 - Also edit /etc/hosts and change its first line for this: 127.0.0.1 knoppix localhost.
Thatīs it! Now produce the compressed file KNOPPIX and the iso image and burn it.
Cheers!
-
Senior Member
registered user
nelsongs
Thanks very much for help. I got it working now by going back to the last working copy. I always keep a copy of the last working iso to revert to it when I stuck with such a problem.
Similar Threads
-
By Joe Soap in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 09:04 PM
-
By hnugz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2004, 12:43 PM
-
By r3c3 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
-
By Phredd in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
-
By xdamnx in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK
$334.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$1450.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80