Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: unable to lookup mybox via gethostbyname()

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103

    unable to lookup mybox via gethostbyname()

    I have remastered Knoppix 3.8. It works great from CD with all the customizations that I made. However, when I installed it on HD, KDE won't allow me in. It accepts my password but don't allow me in. It keeps showing me kdm logon screen. I selected the command line option and started X with no problems. I got this mail message:

    ************************************************** ***************************************
    To: root@Knoppix
    From: root@Knoppix
    Subject: *** SECURITY information for mybox ***

    mybox : Apr 8 02:34:13 : root : unable to lookup mybox via gethostbyname()
    ************************************************** ****************************************
    Does any body know what does this mean? And how to solve it?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brasilia/Brazil
    Posts
    31
    Hi knopx4me,
    I donīt know if it helps, but during the development of the script for remastering the knoppix HD install I have faced this trouble and I discovered, for the 3.7 version at least, that the problem is due to the hostname. In your case Iīve seen you call it mybox and the internal routine 45xsession expects it to be named knoppix. I solved this problem, in my script, changing the following, which you could try on your chrooted environment (problably /knxsource/KNOPPPIX/KNOPPIX):
    1 - On the /home/yourname directory I deleted the hidden files >DCOPserver.... If your home is, for instance, /home/knopx4me, do this (on a terminal, logged as su): rm -f /home/knopx4me/.DCOP*
    2 - Edit /etc/hostname and change whatever name is inside /etc/hostname (problably mybox is there) to knoppix.
    3 - Also edit /etc/hosts and change its first line for this: 127.0.0.1 knoppix localhost.

    Thatīs it! Now produce the compressed file KNOPPIX and the iso image and burn it.
    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    nelsongs

    Thanks very much for help. I got it working now by going back to the last working copy. I always keep a copy of the last working iso to revert to it when I stuck with such a problem.

Similar Threads

  1. XMMS and freedb cd lookup
    By Joe Soap in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 09:04 PM
  2. wireless mac address lookup
    By hnugz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 12:43 PM
  3. host neme lookup failure problem
    By r3c3 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
  4. Boot init2, login as user:go passwd:go and telnet to Mybox
    By Phredd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
  5. Lookup problem
    By xdamnx in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98