-
video card not detected
Hi, Knoppix 3.8.1 dosen't detect my video card, a RADEON 9600. I think that because of this my screen is having a low refresh rate. It was detected in Knoppix 3.7(PC Welt Edition). Please help.
-
Sorta Similar Situation
Not that I'm going to be much help, but 3.8.1 at least detected my chip, a Radeon 9000, it just would not start an xserver for it. It's a kinda strange message that says can't find a suitable xserver for the video card, and after several tries at different resolutions, it gives up. I haven't found a solution as yet, but in your situation I would think there's something broken with the the iso as knoppix is usually very good at detecting hardware.
I know that's not much help, but I have a 3.7 live Cd that does detect my hardware and starts X and KDE just fine. The 3.8.1 version detects the hardware, it just won't start X, but it complains about the video card.
roofer
-
I think it has something to do with the fact that 3.8.1 forces kernal 2.6. In my (very limited
) experience kernal 2.4, which is the default in 3.7, plays much better with radeon cards. The problem is that 3.7 is now quite outdated(no UnionFS, outdated packages etc.). Mabye in the next release 2.4 will again be optional, just like 2.6 was. But again, I'm just guessing and I know that space is limited in a 700 mb disk. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By ajubinu in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-14-2006, 06:32 PM
-
By Spaceman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-27-2005, 01:53 PM
-
By ldp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
-
By nomex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
-
By Nesser in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00