how do I access the etc/modules and the file etc/modules-2.4.27 as root. Have had trouble finding the files as well.Thanks for the help
Bruce
My Thinkpad 600E has had many distributions installed on it. Sound was always difficult except for Suse 9.1 which was the first one to recognize the hardware correctly.
I like the hard drive install version of Knoppix 3.7 so I do the following ...
With root permissions ...
In the /etc/modules and in the file /etc/modules-2.4.27
Add the following 2 lines at the end of the file ...
cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5
opl3 io=0x388
These replace lines like cs4232 or some other sound card setting.
The computer now boot perfectly and automatically with an optimal sound setting. The microphone works too. I use it for PSK31.
This fine computer is tricky only in this one way and the P2 400mhz speed is perfectly fine in Knoppix. Running under Mandrake or Redhat or Fedora it is painfully slow. With Knoppix it has become my main computer.
Ian Soutar
how do I access the etc/modules and the file etc/modules-2.4.27 as root. Have had trouble finding the files as well.Thanks for the help
Bruce

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00