Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: wont boot up properly????

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5

    wont boot up properly????

    Okay, I installed knoppix which becomes Debian. I did this on a older computer for a friend who is not computer savy. I had no problem when I gave the computer to him, but he calls me up and says that when he tries to start the computer, it shows all the information that it usually displays (hardware configuration) then shows the name of the computer and asks for a login. This is not the login that is usually displayed where it is asking for the administrator login and password. The login that he is talking about is all text, like the OS wont load correctly. If he types in the only login name and password that I assigned, he gets nothing. I hope I explained my problem well enough for anyone to understand, but I have no idea why this is happening and how to fix it without doing a new install. Could this be a hardware malfunction? Not sure how to proceedd.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    What happens if he logs in as root (and maybe tries startx)?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5
    He called me on the phone last night and I asked him what he sees when he starts up the computer. I had named the computer linux-box and the username is brain. He says he gets a prompt that says something like linux-box brain$. Again, I wish I could more descriptive but I am going on purely what he is seeing. The only time is stops is when it is asking for a login which again appears in the text when it looks like it is scanning the computer for hardware. And what exactly is startx?

Similar Threads

  1. it wont boot
    By ldxmzg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 01:38 AM
  2. wont boot from hd
    By tweaky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 04:01 AM
  3. 4.0.2 wont boot
    By RGP in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 02:02 AM
  4. My MSI Mega 180 Deluxe will not boot properly with Knoppix
    By Siberiantiger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 05:17 PM
  5. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$125.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



DEC DIGITAL VINTAGE M7477 picture

DEC DIGITAL VINTAGE M7477

$100.00



Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used picture

Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used

$160.00