Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: wont boot up properly????

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5

    wont boot up properly????

    Okay, I installed knoppix which becomes Debian. I did this on a older computer for a friend who is not computer savy. I had no problem when I gave the computer to him, but he calls me up and says that when he tries to start the computer, it shows all the information that it usually displays (hardware configuration) then shows the name of the computer and asks for a login. This is not the login that is usually displayed where it is asking for the administrator login and password. The login that he is talking about is all text, like the OS wont load correctly. If he types in the only login name and password that I assigned, he gets nothing. I hope I explained my problem well enough for anyone to understand, but I have no idea why this is happening and how to fix it without doing a new install. Could this be a hardware malfunction? Not sure how to proceedd.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    What happens if he logs in as root (and maybe tries startx)?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5
    He called me on the phone last night and I asked him what he sees when he starts up the computer. I had named the computer linux-box and the username is brain. He says he gets a prompt that says something like linux-box brain$. Again, I wish I could more descriptive but I am going on purely what he is seeing. The only time is stops is when it is asking for a login which again appears in the text when it looks like it is scanning the computer for hardware. And what exactly is startx?

Similar Threads

  1. it wont boot
    By ldxmzg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 01:38 AM
  2. wont boot from hd
    By tweaky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 04:01 AM
  3. 4.0.2 wont boot
    By RGP in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 02:02 AM
  4. My MSI Mega 180 Deluxe will not boot properly with Knoppix
    By Siberiantiger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 05:17 PM
  5. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board picture

2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board

$49.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe picture

SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe

$73.99