View Poll Results: Is Knoppix 3.8.1 working good for you?
- Voters
- 14. You may not vote on this poll
-
Everything seems to work great.
-
Not perfect but a big step up from my previous version.
-
No, I'm having a number of problems.
-
It's so bad I stopped using it.
-
Haven't downloaded or burnt it yet.
-
Version 3.8.1 is out?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Are you having problems with Knoppix 3.8.1?
First of all, let me say that I'm very happy with Knoppix 3.8.1 on the notebook I normally run Knoppix on. It is the first version that I was able to get my Belkin Wireless notebook card working, the first version that boots without cheat codes since 3.3, and the first version that fixes the problem where my built-in NIC stopped working after a Microsoft "security update". Yes, I'm very happy with 3.8.1 on that machine.
However, I've been unable to boot it so far on my main desltop. It gets as far as the GUI wallpaper, but then it never finishes booting and the progress box never shows up. After a very long wait there is an error message and it gives up. The computer is several years old, new enough to run Knoppix quite well (1 Ghz Athlon, Abit MB) but old enough that it shouldn't be finding any new hardware that it can't support. 3.7 ran fine on it and I've never needed cheat codes on this box. Still don't know if some cheat code will make it work.
I does boot on an older test machine I also use. But it doesn't recognize the sound card there (neither did 3.7). What strikes me as strange about this is that it's a standard Sound Blaster 16 as far as I know. The sound setup utility is no use.
I've also seen a higher number than expected of other people who seem to be having problems with this new release.
I've given out a fair number of copies of Knoppix CD's to friends (and strangers) in the past. Not a lot, but a decent number. I was thinking of taking a copy of the newest version to someone at a local computer store who had mentioned Knoppix the last time I talked to him but stated he didn't have a copy yet and he didn't have a high speed connection. But then I decided that if it gave him the problems that I've seen on 2 out of 3 of my computers, or that others have been reporting, then I really didn't want him to associate his unhappy Knoppix experience with me. So no more free copies of Knoppix from me until I think it's more likely to boot on people's systems and not have them coming back to me asking what's wrong.
So what are other people's thoughs and experiences? In 3.8.1 a big step forward for you, or was it released a little too soon?
-
Senior Member
registered user
as for soundblaster 16 cards, they are isa, you might have to "manually" configure it. giving IO and IRQ aswell as proper module to load.
after that it should work OK. does for me atleast (on my stationary p133Mhz).
-
Knoppix 3.8, any Term. Server problems?
Hi, I though I'd ask about 3.8 before I dnld it.
I've been working with term. server which didn't work on a
HD install with ver. 3.3 that I have, you said: get 3.8.
Do you know how well the term. server works in 3.8
on a HD install, & any other info that applies to our talk?
I'd think the problems would be worked out in 3.8 (maybe).
My friend uses W2k, & it's soooo screwed up, no dnld yet.
Guess I'll have to fix it, it's been that way a long time.
Why won't these lazy folks use Knoppix so it'll stay working?
-
Senior Member
registered user
virtual desktops
I've noticed that virtual desktops doesn't work properly in kde. assuming to have some open windows in dsk1, changing desktop windows disappears but icons in systray remains. anyone can confirm this?
bye max
Similar Threads
-
By javiergp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
-
By wroseland in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By lesshaste in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By pbearseven in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99