-
Symlink for a printer driver
I have installed drivers for a Canon i560 using 'alien' to convert the rpm's found on the canon site and that seemed to work OK. Indeed, the printer driver is now visible in the CUPS menu. However it still does not print.
I did some more research on various HOWTO sites and it looks like I need to add some 'symlinks'. Here is an snippet from the instructions:
> alien doesn't preserve the symlinks that are in the rpm. This prevents the cups-filter from running, and there are no messages detailing what
> was wrong. To fix this, add these symlinks in /usr/lib:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 25 23:36 libcnbpcmcm156.so -> /usr/lib/libcnbpcmcm156.so.5.71.2
Here I am not exactly sure how I should go about adding 'symlinks': Do I need to move files to /usr/lib? Or is this a declaration in a config file? And do I need to set permissions (e.g. lrwxrwxrwx)?
I have looked in the manual and googled for more information on symlinks but each article seems to assume that you already know how they are handled. Maybe someone can point me towards a beginners HOWTO for symlinks?
Any other information on experiences people have had installing Canon i560 would be a great help.
Regards,
Alan Searle.
Similar Threads
-
By tdjokic in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
-
By rocker452 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By sethosayher in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By TomPittman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 01:34 AM
-
By MPenza in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72