Pull up a console, navigate to the directory you've got your package in, and become root; then issue the command
dpkg -i packagename.deb
(One thing that may cause problems is dependency issues. Good luck.)
I have rpm packages that I need to convert to deb and then install (under Knoppix 3.4).
I read the instructions and it seems quite straightforward ...
I first did (as root): # alien xxx.rpm
... which created xxx.deb
I was pleased about that.
The instructions (in my Knoppix manual) said I should simply click on the file and it will install. I tried this and found that all that happened was that the conents of the deb file were displayed.
I tried running xxx.deb from the command prompt but this also didn't work.
Can anyone help me here? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to run from command prompt with certain switches?
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Alan Searle
Pull up a console, navigate to the directory you've got your package in, and become root; then issue the command
dpkg -i packagename.deb
(One thing that may cause problems is dependency issues. Good luck.)
A better bet (because of the likely dependency issues) is to use apt-get. You won't find many .rpm packages that are not available as debs and the reverse is true.![]()

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99