Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Backing up the files thru Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    Backing up the files thru Knoppix

    MY computer completely crashed last week..Whenevr I try to log in to any of my windows account, I can't log in..It logs off automatically..I m thinkin of reinstallin the Windows, but I don't wanna loose my files.....

    I'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me how to back up my files thru Knoppix...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Been talked about over and over again, you could search through the forums and find a lot of information. No sense in witing too much in this post, particularly since we don't know anything about your equipment (do you have a local network you could transfer files to? Would your configuration let you write files to CD or DVD? Do you have a USB flash drive or other removable media? How much space do the files that you want to recover take? and so on). Can Knoppix even see the files if you boot it from CD? (Don't give up if it can't, all is not lost yet, but it would be nice to know). And whatever you do do not write to an NTFS partition with Knoppix while you are doing this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for ur reply Harry....I really don't know anything abt Knoppix...It's my first day or should I say first hour of using it....One of my friends told me that I could back all my files up thru knoppix, so I got this software....

    I have HP pavillion....I have DVD/CD writer.....I also have USB flash drive....THe files I want to recover mite take up abt 5-6 GB....how can I copy those files into DVDs or CDs??

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick977
    I have HP pavillion....I have DVD/CD writer.....I also have USB flash drive....THe files I want to recover mite take up abt 5-6 GB....how can I copy those files into DVDs or CDs??
    With one drive it's complicated, since you need to have the CD in the system while running. If you have 1 Gig of memory you can use the toram "cheat code" to copy Knoppix to memory. Otherwise you could use a smaller Live CD distro, like the Knoppix derived DSL and then use the toram code.

    I don't really have the time to go into great detail right now, but this has been discussed many times in these forums if you're willing to do a bit of searching.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have to cd drives....both have cd writers....and I have RAM of 512 MB..


    anyways, thanksfor your reply..I guess I will ahve to do some searchin now..

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick977
    I have to cd drives....both have cd writers....and I have RAM of 512 MB...
    Plenty of RAM for Knoppix, not enough for the toram option. But with two CD writers you could boot knoppix in one and use the other to burn the files you want to CD.

Similar Threads

  1. Backing up Windows using Knoppix
    By Flash00 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:34 AM
  2. backing up HDD's with dd
    By mwer in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. backing up the MBR
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
  4. backing up question
    By guardianx in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
  5. backing everything up
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple MacDraw released 1984 User Guide (Has Wear & Tear - See Photos) picture

Vintage Apple MacDraw released 1984 User Guide (Has Wear & Tear - See Photos)

$9.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Inside Macintosh Promotional Edition Vintage Apple Developer Book 1985 picture

Inside Macintosh Promotional Edition Vintage Apple Developer Book 1985

$32.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00