Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: floppyconfig

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    floppyconfig

    I'm trying to save settings and can't seem to get the floppyconfig cheat to function. When I made
    the floppy, knoppix said to use the command myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy. I get a error while booting
    from the CD and it loads the defaults. I tried floppyconfig and config=scan, but still no luck. I seem to
    remember a error message saying something like: must start with /dev/ or /mnt/ or 'scan'.
    What am I missing here

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Hi, you're not the only one having this problem.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18185

    Unfortunately, I haven't got an answer and have had to give up on 3.8.1 until I can get this resolved.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    Thanks for the link!

    Thanks Alan,

    I'm going to try a USB pen drive next. Have you tried that yet?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10
    No I haven't. I'm not sure if my BIOS would support the USB drive prior to boot (I've got a fairly old computer). I must admit, I assumed the problem was with Knoppix not recognising the floppy settings file as a valid file, but I'm no expert on this stuff. If you have any success, please let me know and I'll pursue it further.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texada Is. BC Canada
    Posts
    18

    Floppy Conf - Try this..

    I was very unhappy when the command "myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" didn't work
    to restore my saved configuration from a floppy disk too.

    Try this: "knoppix floppyconf" at the boot prompt. It really does work!

    I'm using 3.7 -- My 3.8.1 is on the way (dialup connection)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10
    I don't have a problem with 3.7. It's 3.8.1 that won't recognise the configuration file on the floppy. If it works for you, please let me know what you did. I think I've exhausted all the various "knoppix flopyconf" options. I'd really like to get 3.8.1 working as it contains Firefox and Thunderbird, my preferred browser and email.

    cheers

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    USB

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Harrison
    No I haven't. I'm not sure if my BIOS would support the USB drive prior to boot (I've got a fairly old computer). I must admit, I assumed the problem was with Knoppix not recognising the floppy settings file as a valid file, but I'm no expert on this stuff. If you have any success, please let me know and I'll pursue it further.

    Cheers
    Hi Alan,

    I bought a 512MB sony microvault yesterday and did a persistent home with it. When I boot I use the cheatcode home=/mnt/uba1/knoppix.img and
    everything loads fine. However it does seem to hang the system sometimes I think it's due to newer settings being written to it. I'm going to
    experiment a bit more with the laptop and also with a Dell desktop at work this week. I also have a config saved to the USB.

    I deleted the knoppix.img and started with myconfig=/dev/uba1 and knoppix started fine with my settings and so far hasn't hung up!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Hey Harry, you're a star. I copied the config files from the floppy to a USB stick, followed your instructions and, hey presto, it worked - it recognised the configuration file on the USB drive and loaded the my settings ok. I'm writing this from Firefox running in 3.8.1.

    Many thanks,

    alan

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix floppyconfig
    By lost n the desert in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 09:12 PM
  2. Floppyconfig problem
    By gfs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 08:49 PM
  3. floppyconfig best method?
    By Sw@ppa in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM
  4. how to boot with floppyconfig
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
  5. Floppyconfig
    By Boffy655 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99