I tried failsafe mode. Still can't find the cd file system but I got keyboard control, that's a good thing.
>>>bill<<<
I have an HP tc1100 tabletpc with only a usb cd connection. I cannot boot Knoppix 3.81. If I do a regular boot, it complains about not being able to find the CD file system. If I do something like expert mode, the system comes up with a question about scsi stuff to load, but no keyboard response (no keyboard for the regular boot either, I have to take the battery out to get the thing to reset).
Now I know there are ways to do this using USB drives etc., but it USED to be the case that I could boot Knoppix on this machine (3.6). What is different now and is there anything i can do to get it to boot straight from the CD? thanks.
>>>bill<<<
I tried failsafe mode. Still can't find the cd file system but I got keyboard control, that's a good thing.
>>>bill<<<
I have tried all the "no" options I can find (nodma, noscsi, noacip, etc.). I tried noscsi, nodma atapic. I tried the ide2=0x180,0x386 (for sony's apparently). The image is good, and it boots other machines fine. I'm sure it is a problem with the USB CD drive but what to do about that?
>>>bill<<<
Hi,Originally Posted by punch
you may want to try to use the method described in the thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...0320f17ad508ab
in order to boot knoppix directly from the HD.
I will soon post a recipe for getting some tablet functionality to work
with knoppix (for wacom based tablets, which TC1100 is, isn't it?).
I have an Acer C300 tablet.
For now, please post your reply and further queries on this there.
good luck.
Tom
When I use the Knoppix 2.8.3 CD to boot from a external USB cdrom, I get the following error:
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Cant find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
I get the same thing with Knoppix 2.9 as well. Funny thing, the keyboard doesn't work until power management blanks the screen, then it starts working.
on that note, I already have my tablet set up as a dual-booting system with Win XP and Linux (CentOS) using the grub bootloader in the MBR. Perhaps I can use the grub config to boot from the USB cdrom, although the Knoppix CD doesn't seem to recognise it?
(Come on give me a break, guys, that other thread is 25 pages long!)
Has anyone managed to boot Knoppix (CD or DVD) successfully on an HP TC1100 or other tablet?
I've just downloaded the CD ISO and it boots ok. It complains that the auto-configuration of hardware (it might say devices) fails, but then it continues on till I get to an image (which looks like a steering wheel and road in the background, or something like that) that appears to be a desktop background. I have a cursor, the mouse works, the keyboard worked during boot, but I get nothing else. I've left it for a few hours, but nothing appears on the desktop. No icons, no command prompt, I can't get it to do anything.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks - Callum.
It looks like my problems may be with the burning of the CD, so off to post on that thread and then I'll post back here on my results on the TC1100. Cheers - Callum.
On 3 actually.... Toshiba Portege 3500, Toshiba Portege M200 and the Toshiba Tecra M4.
But with problems, not as severe as yours though. It varies from not detecting networkcards or
graphics problems, but all of these are solveable.
On none of them I was able to get the pen to work (not a big suprise
Originally Posted by chmac
Once I burned the CD and DVD correctly, both booted without problems. Sure, the pen didn't work (I think, although I didn't actually check) but for me that's not a big deal as I need to have the USB CD attached to use Knoppix, and I type faster than I write, so non real use for the pen when I'm at my desk.
Almost immediately after I've installed CentOS though, so I only booted Knoppix once. I couldn't get wireless to connect, but I didn't try very much, it didn't seem to pick up the wifi card, so I left it.
Cheers - Callum.

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM
$8.88
Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM
$39.99
IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New
$999.99
2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500
$119.00
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.
$32.99
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested
$40.49
IBM Face Plate for OEM IMI 5012H 10MB MFM 5.25" Full Height Hard Disk Drive
$29.99
IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan
$19.99
NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM
$299.95
Lot of 12 Genuine IBM 1299790 Quietwriter Non-Correcting Ribbons Indelible NOS
$129.99