Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram3

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram3

    I am trying to GRUB a Knoppix iso from the hard drive.

    From the Knoppix mirror in /knoppix/contrib/grubboot.zip/boot/grub/menu.lst
    I found:
    Code:
    # boot a KNOPPIX iso file
    # /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX on hda1
    # with custom cheatcodes
    # with the kernel vmlinuz and the
    # initrd miniroot.gz extracted from
    # boot.img from the Knoppix CD
    # to /KNOPPIX/
    # this example hda1 can also be a fat(32) filesystem
    title "Knoppix-iso custom"
    kernel (hd0,0)/knoppix/vmlinuz noddc depth=24 screen=1024x768 vsync=85
    initrd (hd0,0)/knoppix/miniroot.gz
    Using files from a Knoppix 3.4 CD, I tried:
    Code:
    title Knoppix - ISO at (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix/linux26 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix/KNOPPIX
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix/minirt26.gz
    In my case, (hd0) is an NTFS (Windows XP) system. Unfortunately, the kernel crashes with
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ram3
    , and then Knoppix starts booting up but almost right away crashes with
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
    and I get dropped to a "limited shell." Dropping the bootfrom cheatcode, or using linux24 from the same CD, does not change anything. I also tried various no* cheatcodes, all with the same result.

    Hardware is "standard" Fujistsu-Siemens Lifebook C1110.

    Am I totally out to lunch with this method? Anyone got this to work? Anything else that I can provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I haven't tried to boot an .iso image from HD but for what it's worth it seems like there are boot mangers
    out there that can do this. Try http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html or maybe: http://gujin.sourceforge.net/
    Good luck

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    No floppy access

    On my machine I cannot boot from a floppy, but thanx for the suggestion.

    While Googling for this error, I read somewhere that the kernel might not have compiled support for the file system in question. Since Knoppix runs from a ram disk, I think this is the wrong direction.

    Am I doing something that is obviously way incorrect?

    TIA to anyone with any suggestions.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    On the advice of someone, I tried using
    Code:
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix/linux26 root=/dev/ram[0|1|2]
    and I end up with the same error, just on a different ram disk.

    Any help?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    If anybody is reading this I solved my problem (kudos to JS):
    I was able to GRUB the kernel from an NTFS partition, because GRUB has native support for NTFS. However, the Linux kernel (provided with Knoppix 3.4) itself does not have native supports for NTFS, and therefore could not find the inird file ... which resulted in the above mentioned error.
    After placing, the kernel, initrd file, and the image all on a FAT[16|32] partition, everything works just fine.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    For the sake of "generations to come". This "problem" can be considered a duplicate of something that has already been discussed a long time ago. I just should have done better reserch. The link is here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52847

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    By phillb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
  2. Kernel panic: Unable to mount root file system on block....
    By wquay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
  3. Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:02
    By helkyd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  4. Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
    By biohazard in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 02:55 AM
  5. kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 08:03
    By ventallo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Lot of 31 Cisco 10GB SFP+ FET-10G Transceivers 79x 10-2566-01, 63x 10-2566-02 picture

Lot of 31 Cisco 10GB SFP+ FET-10G Transceivers 79x 10-2566-01, 63x 10-2566-02

$69.99



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90