Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Lesser-Known Distros?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Lesser-Known Distros?

    Okay, so I'm starting to get this Linux stuff...And I've decided that I'm going to install Dettu[Xx] on an old piece of crap computer for some experience. But from what I've read, Dettu[Xx] sounds lika bitch even to hardcore Linuxers. So I've been looking for a distro besides the mainstream ones (Redhat, Suse, Debian, Gentoo etc.) that will work good on a laptop, and that's not incredibly deadly to use. Something that can do everything the mainstream distros can, and more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Try Linux From Scratch or tiny sofa classic or slackware.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I've heard of Slackware, therefore classifying it as mainstream. I believe it's listed under Mainstream/General Public on the Linux.org website. I looked at Tiny Sofa and from what I read it sounded like a network OS. I also don't want a distro based on a mainstream distro. Isn't Linux From Scratch just like...A kernel and a book? :P Ooh, ooh...I also want a distro with a shiny name so I can be like "I've got Schpiggywiggix." and even hardcore Lin-heads will be like "What?"

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    What about UTUTO, the only Richard Stallman recommended distro.
    Not rated in first 100 distrowatch ranking, so no to be considered mainstream

Similar Threads

  1. The Top Distros.....(linux/BSD)
    By yozef in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:27 AM
  2. knoppix 32-bit versus 64-bit distros
    By michael7 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 02:49 AM
  3. multiple distros on one dvd-r?
    By simple in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 07:55 AM
  4. Mandrake & Other Distros
    By jMon54 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM
  5. So what are the other distros doing wrong?
    By stonent in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 09:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$155.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$489.92



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99