-
using alien and installing deb packages
I have rpm packages that I need to convert to deb and then install (under Knoppix 3.4).
I read the instructions and it seems quite straightforward ...
I first did (as root): # alien xxx.rpm
... which created xxx.deb
I was pleased about that.
The instructions (in my Knoppix manual) said I should simply click on the file and it will install. I tried this and found that all that happened was that the conents of the deb file were displayed.
I tried running xxx.deb from the command prompt but this also didn't work.
Can anyone help me here? What am I doing wrong? Do I need to run from command prompt with certain switches?
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Alan Searle
-
Senior Member
registered user
Pull up a console, navigate to the directory you've got your package in, and become root; then issue the command
dpkg -i packagename.deb
(One thing that may cause problems is dependency issues. Good luck.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
A better bet (because of the likely dependency issues) is to use apt-get. You won't find many .rpm packages that are not available as debs and the reverse is true.
Similar Threads
-
By chocorello in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-04-2008, 02:14 AM
-
By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
-
By jsweatte in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
-
By HewJass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
-
By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00