Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown
P.S I just downloaded the lattest vertion of Knoppix on April 15, 2005.
It would be more useful to give a version number (like 3.8.1) than when you downloaded it, since you didn't say where you got it and the site you did might not be current.
Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown
... my ISP requires that I logon to my ADSL account.
I would like to remove windows and never use in again. By I can not use my ISP because of the Logon thing.
Here's an important question that you didn't give us the information for: Do you connect to your DSL modem by Ethernet or by USB?

If you connect by Ethernet, then I can't stress enough that you should be using a DSL/Cable router. Some Ethernet modems have a router built in, but since yours apparently does not you should add pne on. They have become incrediably cheap, frequently ten dollars or less after rebate (you can get a Netgear router that workes both wired and wireless for $5 after rebate tonight at CompUSA in their Midnight Madness sale). With a router, the router takes care of all the login stuff and you don't have to make any setup at all in Knoppix (or Windows). You just boot and are on-line. And it provides a lot of extra utility and an important hardware firewall.

There is PPPoE software on the Knoppix CD that you would use if you don't use a router. I have no experience with it for the above reason.

If you have a USB interface to your DSL modem, well, too bad. Some people have been able to get some USB interfaces to work under Knoppix, but my best advice is to insist on an ethernet interfae and to use a router. USB interfaces do not work with routers (unless one is built into the DSL modem).


Please don't post questions and make them sticky.