Adding Captive to Knoppix would allow NTFS write support, greatly enhancing it in it's ability to fix broken Windows boxes.
See: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
Just a thought.
Adding Captive to Knoppix would allow NTFS write support, greatly enhancing it in it's ability to fix broken Windows boxes.
See: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
Just a thought.
There might be reasons that "captive" was removed from 3.8.1, including that there are still reports of it corrupting NTFS partitions and it hasn't been updated in over a year.
Just a thought.
Is there another way to write from Knoppix or another knoppix-based live-cd to write on NTFS partition ?
Not that I know of. As I understand it, this is one of the things that Microsoft intended with NTFS. They put a lot of work into making an undocumented file system that would be corrupted if written to by Linux. It is one of the few things that works as intended, although in this case as intended means breaking if Linux tries to use it. The fault is not in Linux, its a choice you make when you decide to use Microsoft and its NTFS. By the way, you don't need to use NTFS, even XP will still install to a FAT partition (although you give up things like files over 4 gigs in size).Originally Posted by gil's
Thanks for your reply.
I'm working in a maintenance divinsion and i'm in search for a product that could write on NTFS partition to erase a virus infected file for example...
I don't know how CHRONOMIUM access to NTFS partitions...
http://antesis.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=41&lang=en
NTFSDOS from www.sysinternals.com?
but it uses the same techology as captive NTFS , uses the MS native drivers.
Can you show me how to install Captive
What's the latest version of Knoppix to support writing to NTFS?Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
If you're looking for a bootable CD that is able to write to NTFS partitions without corrupting, google for BartPE. It's saved me many a time. I'm looking forward to the day that Knoppix can write to NTFS and then I'll have one less cd to cart around with me.
Right now it's
* Knoppix
* BartPE
* Windows XP ( for system file checker)
* Tools (spyware removal tools for stubborn windows users)
While looking through the forum I noted the ntfs issue and I did find a solution. yes, it involved captive but it was incorporated into a distro that was called Linux Defender and was a real lifesaver for me in recovering data on a blown NTFS partition. I downloaded it via BitDefender.com you know the bitdefender antivirus folks. good luck.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99