Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Syncing with Palm Tunsgten

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Syncing with Palm Tunsgten

    Hi all.

    Just wondering if it is possible to sync/backup my Palm Tungsten to a USB flashdrive using Knoppix Live?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i frequently sync my palm 515 so it should work well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    Hi, OErjan. Thanks for your reply.

    I use Kpilot on my Suse 9.2 install to sync, but I can't see any option that lets you sync the Palm's contents to a preferred location (i.e. USB Key). With that in mind, how do you do it?

    Regards,
    Gros104

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    eee? there is a setting in there somewhere. i am going to check.
    EDIT
    have no computer with knoppix jkust now it seems, be back tomorow.
    /EDIT

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    Actually, I just had another read of the doc that comes with Kpilot, and it says in Chapter 5 "Syncing your Palmpilot with a PC" that all data is stored in the (and I quote) '$KDEHOME/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/User Name/ folder'.

    So I assume that if a USB key is used to store user details, etc, while the live CD is being used, any data from a Palm sync will automatically be written to the USB key.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    indeed yes. and you can make one step further and copy the info manually if you want i guess.
    i am still trying to get a good download of knoppix 3.8.1, i seem to have troublesome line.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Highland, NY, USA
    Posts
    3
    Good Luck. Linux hates USB Palm Pilots; I've spent many an hour playing with J Pilot and have only managed to synch via serial port. I even tried via Bluetooth. No dice. And K Pilot will drive ya spare.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    indeed yes. and you can make one step further and copy the info manually if you want i guess.
    i am still trying to get a good download of knoppix 3.8.1, i seem to have troublesome line.
    I've only got dial-up (can't get broadband in my area yet). So I usually get my LInux off Coverdisks or other contacts. I recently saw Knoppix 3.7 on a Linux mag, and nearly bought that, but I think I'll wait till I get my grubby hands on 3.8 and its 2.6 kernel.

    Yamamoto, I think ease of syncing USB palms depends on the Linux distro and kernel version you are using. I'm only a relatively new Linux user, so I've only ever used Linux flavours with the 2.6 kernel, which apparently, offers much better USB support than previous versions. With Suse 9.2, I was lucky enough to sync the palm without having to do any fiddling around. With Mandy 10, all I had to do was find which USB port it was syncing on, and where it was located in the /dev directory structure.

    Hopefully it will be OK with Knoppix as well.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i use both USB and serial to sync my palm, works well. you just have to find the right "device" under /dev/,.
    atleast with my computer.

Similar Threads

  1. Syncing error while installing to clean harddrive
    By Override in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 05:08 AM
  2. Pda syncing issues! (palm not found!)
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 02:03 AM
  3. Syncing my Palm
    By extradudeguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Klaus can make money with Palm editition
    By Eshnet.net in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
  5. interrupt handler -not syncing
    By sminotti in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00