i frequently sync my palm 515 so it should work well.
Hi all.
Just wondering if it is possible to sync/backup my Palm Tungsten to a USB flashdrive using Knoppix Live?
Thanks.
i frequently sync my palm 515 so it should work well.
Hi, OErjan. Thanks for your reply.
I use Kpilot on my Suse 9.2 install to sync, but I can't see any option that lets you sync the Palm's contents to a preferred location (i.e. USB Key). With that in mind, how do you do it?
Regards,
Gros104
eee? there is a setting in there somewhere. i am going to check.
EDIT
have no computer with knoppix jkust now it seems, be back tomorow.
/EDIT
Actually, I just had another read of the doc that comes with Kpilot, and it says in Chapter 5 "Syncing your Palmpilot with a PC" that all data is stored in the (and I quote) '$KDEHOME/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/User Name/ folder'.
So I assume that if a USB key is used to store user details, etc, while the live CD is being used, any data from a Palm sync will automatically be written to the USB key.
indeed yes. and you can make one step further and copy the info manually if you want i guess.
i am still trying to get a good download of knoppix 3.8.1, i seem to have troublesome line.
Good Luck. Linux hates USB Palm Pilots; I've spent many an hour playing with J Pilot and have only managed to synch via serial port. I even tried via Bluetooth. No dice. And K Pilot will drive ya spare.
I've only got dial-up (can't get broadband in my area yet). So I usually get my LInux off Coverdisks or other contacts. I recently saw Knoppix 3.7 on a Linux mag, and nearly bought that, but I think I'll wait till I get my grubby hands on 3.8 and its 2.6 kernel.Originally Posted by OErjan
Yamamoto, I think ease of syncing USB palms depends on the Linux distro and kernel version you are using. I'm only a relatively new Linux user, so I've only ever used Linux flavours with the 2.6 kernel, which apparently, offers much better USB support than previous versions. With Suse 9.2, I was lucky enough to sync the palm without having to do any fiddling around. With Mandy 10, all I had to do was find which USB port it was syncing on, and where it was located in the /dev directory structure.
Hopefully it will be OK with Knoppix as well.
i use both USB and serial to sync my palm, works well. you just have to find the right "device" under /dev/,.
atleast with my computer.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$90.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00