Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Included Modem Driver Not Working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Included Modem Driver Not Working

    Okay. I bought an internal PCI modem from newegg.com that was listed as having Linux compatibility. It came with a cd that had drivers and stuff on it. The instructions on the cd were to run AUTORUN.EXE in Linux...But I didn't do that becaue my WINE was all wierd. Instead, I went /cdrom/DRIVERS/Linux and found the driver as a source. I then converted it to .deb and it somehow became compiled in the process. But now, it still says "the modem is busy" when I try to dial in.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Why don't you tell people what make and model modem you actually bought rather than where you bought it from? That's the real information they need to give you useful feedback.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Oh, sorry. The driver I downloaded said it was for all SmartLink chipsets, regardless of make or model. On box it says Hummingbird Fax/Modem 56k/V.92...And everything on the cd says SmartLink. For some reason, it's not listed on the site anymore. I'll run scanmodem or something and get the chipsets. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right driver...I mean...I compiled the driver fom the cd that came with the modem as well...So I'm wondering why it's not working.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Kuhman, just out of curiosity, do you run a winmodem? Because I seem to remember a lot of posts with your name on it when I was trying to get a USR to work a while ago.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Kuhman, just out of curiosity, do you run a winmodem? Because I seem to remember a lot of posts with your name on it when I was trying to get a USR to work a while ago.
    Not with Linux I don't. I run a DSL modem and router here. I have an old PCI modem that I could use if needed, but it's not a Winmodem, I made sure when I got it years ago that it was an honest to goodness "real" modem (Actiontech). There is a Winmodem on my notebook, but I've never even bothered to try to use Linux with that modem. So I'm not likely to be any help with your problem, just thought your best chance of getting help was if the people who do use dial-up modems knew what you were working with.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I pulled the source from the cd and followed the intructions on the readme file...it lands me with some sort of gcc error.
    Code:
    $ make
    gcc   kernel-ver.o   -o kernel-ver
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o: file not recognized: File truncated
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [kernel-ver] Error 1
    I went through and edited the makefile and everything like it said...

Similar Threads

  1. ATI fglrx driver working, no 3D, how to get rid of Mesa?
    By zenarchist in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
  2. Need Modem Driver
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 11:30 PM
  3. how to get hostap driver working in 3.4
    By genzo in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 11:59 PM
  4. Modem Driver
    By chrisjrn in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 03:36 AM
  5. could please the broadcom driver be included
    By Uwe Brauer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00