Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: building custom kernel 2.4.20

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    building custom kernel 2.4.20

    I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

    What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

    Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20

    Re: building custom kernel 2.4.20

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

    What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

    Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?
    For one, unless you think you'll have a need to read/write to XFS file systems (not likely, these aren't exactly that common), you can just ignore the XFS patches. I do.

    As far as chrooting, I can do so with no problems either from within Knoppix or from within RedHat 7.3

Similar Threads

  1. Building cloop for kernel 2.6.x
    By kawazu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
  2. Building new kernel + modules + drivers
    By jrp in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
  3. Need custom knoppix CD building
    By andrewtayloruk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
  4. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Building custom kernel under KNOPPIX and package it ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras picture

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras

$124.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS picture

Vintage RARE Gigabyte GA-5AA Socket 7 Motherboard AMD K6-2 400mhz BOOTS TO BIOS

$224.99



Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read* picture

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*

$50.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs

$24.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00