Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: building custom kernel 2.4.20

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    building custom kernel 2.4.20

    I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

    What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

    Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20

    Re: building custom kernel 2.4.20

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I have apt-get the kernel source and xfs-patch but when I run apply/xfs, nothing happens(no message, nothing). Is this normal ? I have applied another XPPE patch which does run as normal(some messages, no error).

    What I have is a deboostraped environment and I chroot to it. And when I chroot and run 'make menuconfig', it said something like Ncurses library not found. However, it is ok if I just run from the KNOPPIX environment.

    Would anyone kindly give me some hint or links where I can setup a chroot environment such that I can carry out the kernel building process ?
    For one, unless you think you'll have a need to read/write to XFS file systems (not likely, these aren't exactly that common), you can just ignore the XFS patches. I do.

    As far as chrooting, I can do so with no problems either from within Knoppix or from within RedHat 7.3

Similar Threads

  1. Building cloop for kernel 2.6.x
    By kawazu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
  2. Building new kernel + modules + drivers
    By jrp in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
  3. Need custom knoppix CD building
    By andrewtayloruk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
  4. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Building custom kernel under KNOPPIX and package it ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99