I booted up knoppix 3.4 using both kernel 2.4 and 2.6, both of them have the same trouble when it tries to do
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up (part of cardmgr)
it just stops there.
Next thing I tried was to send kernel option : nopcmcia.
Well... since it skips the pcmcia and cardmgr part, there was no crash/hang/freezes and I can get in to Knoppix.
Note: This problem not only occurs in knoppix, but to all LiveCD ( Mandrake Move, SuSE Live, Linspire Live) linuxes and to all current Linux versions such as Mandrake since 9.x, Redhat/Fedora, SuSE since 8, and even Slackware since 9.x. But this problem never occurs years before when I used Mandrake 7.x (or the early 8.x). Maybe something about kernel 2.2 and 2.4/2.6 ?
Please help me as I would like to try to use Linux for my old laptop partly due to hard disk size.
I am a FreeBSD user most of the time, but for a laptop with spec as low as :
Toshiba Satellite 2150CDS with HDD as big as 4 gigs, ram for 160mb and 2mb vid-card s3-virge and cpu AMDk6-2 440 mhz with 3D thingie, FreeBSD is not the choice for me due to the size of the software that I would have to install that requires Linux wrapper. Plus obviously degradate performance due to the wrappers.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$60.00