-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
turbine
Wow! Thank you all very much for your help.
There are 2 things that make me leery about doing this reinstall process. First when I do boot into win98, win98 doesn't recognize my linux partitions at all. They don't show up in the file manager. ...
Of course not. Windows can't use those partitions (access files on them) so it doesn't show them to you. But if you run Win98 fdisk it does know that the partitions are there, it just calls them something like unknown type. It will leave them alone, which is what you want. Some older versions of fdisk wouldn't even be willing to delete them if you wanted, but I think MS has "fixed" that.

Originally Posted by
turbine
.... Second I wiped out my entire linux os once by running Norton Antivirus on the win98 side. Norton told me that there was a potential virus in my mbr and asked if I wanted it restored. I said yes. Later when I tried booting into knoppix, I discovered that everything was gone.
I'm not a big Norton fan (and that's putting it very mildly), but are you sure that the Linux partitions were gone? I would have expected it to wipe out Lilo on your MBR, but having done something to the partition table seems strange. And what did it put in the partition table slots where the linux partitions used to be? It certainly shouldn't have given the space back to the Windows partition by replacing the entire sector zero rather than just the MBR portion of it,, that would have messed up the Windows partition too. Even if it did remove the partition table entry for the linux partitions (which still seems unlikely), you could have recovered them with gpart. One thing learned here is never to let Norton "fix" a MBR.
None of the above should be taken as an endorsement for installing Knoppix on the hard drive rather than Debian or other Linux distro intended for hard drive installation.
Similar Threads
-
By superoxide in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-28-2007, 11:37 AM
-
By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
-
By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By knophead in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
-
By benpark22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller
$499.99