-
Senior Member
registered user
Why won't certain computers connect to network?
This simple problem I'm having seems to be quite common (for me anyways), since out of 4 computers I acquired cheaply, three of them exhibit the same problem.
I boot up knoppix v3.4 (also have tried v3.
on each computer, and they exhibit the same problem where the ethernet connection does not work, even though knoppix apparently recognizes the network card.
In each case, during the hardware autodetection it says "network device eth0 detected; DHCP broadcasting for IP (Backgrounding)", then KDE boots normally.
HOWEVER once in KDE, there is no network connection, and ifconfig only lists "lo", not the "eth0" device, and "pump -i eth0" results in a pause, then "operation failed".
I have verified that this works with popular ethernet cards that are known to work in a couple other computers of mine (booting off the same exact knoppix v3.4 CD). I have tried 2 popular network cards (3com 3c905b-tx and realtek) that are known to work, and have verified that the driver module DOES load. For example, the realtek NIC (which uses 8139too.o and mii.o) does indeed have those modules loaded by knoppix, as verified with lsmod.
As for the cause, since I've eliminated the NIC and the OS (knoppix liveCD), I it appears to be a hardware issue with the computer itself, which I expect must surely have a workaround in the form of
1) a boottime cheatcode, or
2) changing the way the network driver modules are loaded (specifying parameters?), or
3) some unix command/utility that I am unaware of?
The computers are a 500 MHz HP Vectra, 500 Mhz Dell Optiplex, and 550 MHz clone of unknown manufacturer, which have NO other cards in them. And my computer is connected to a 4 port router.
Any ideas?
Similar Threads
-
By knew_guy in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By ichi in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
-
By stimz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00