-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: problem solved!

Originally Posted by
redss
Belkin router owners BEWARE!
Yup, that's why I mentioned it!

Originally Posted by
redss
I find it disturbing that a windows security update can also break linux networking, as you discovered. I didn't notice a solution from scanning the many posts from that thread, so what is the solution, is it to reset the NIC EEPROM to factory settings?
Resetting the NIC isn't easy, or more to the point finding out what the factory setting were isn't easy. I did find a utility that claimed to reset the NIC, but since it would modify the EEROM on my notebook NIC and if anything went wrong my notebook would be nearly useless to me, I held off on doing it. If I had a desktop NIC this happened to I would try the fix without a second thought.
I found some commands that would do it, a software reset with the mii-tool program and then a netcardconfig. This was a pain. I also found some cheat codes would help, including starting with the Expert cheat code (also a pain). This was all posted to the forums somewhere, I thought it was to those threads. But if you want to search, look in the forums for mii-tool or mii-tools (the brain cell that remembers which one it is has died). Then around Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4 something else in Knoppix changed and I had to use cheat codes to boot. I ended up needing the combination of noscsi and acpi=off. Together these let the notebook use knoppix again and resolved the nic problem at the same time. A pain, but nothing to do about it as long as I needed the codes to boot. With 3.8.1 I find that I no longer need cheat codes to boot. And I find that the NIC now works without any cheat codes or resetting. Older versions of Knoppix still have the problem with the NIC (all the way back to my original 3.1).
Similar Threads
-
By knew_guy in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By ichi in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
-
By stimz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99

Cisco WS-C3850-48P-S 48-Port PoE+ Gigabit Switch w/ 10G Uplink Module Options
$259.99

Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01
$122.40

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50